About Our Parish
Rev. Christopher J. Kuhn, Pastor
Rev. Jorge Loaiza, parochial vicar
The history of our parish is a long and noble one. St. Mary Parish has seen over 150 years of growth and change, easily charted by its physical changes. Most importantly, St. Mary Parish has grown and prospered as a Catholic Christian community, guided by God’s Holy Scripture, sacred Tradition, Christ’s Sacraments, prayer, fellowship, service, and led by the Holy Spirit! St. Mary Parish of Elgin truly is a Catholic Community growing in Christ. Please contact the Parish Adminstrative Office if you would like a copy of the book “The Diocese of Rockford 1908-2008: Our History” that commemorates the first hundred years of the Diocese of Rockford. Under the patronage of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, our diocese continues to care for the souls of Catholics in northern Illinois.
- The first mass was celebrated in 1837 in what is now Elgin when the French Missionaries, Father St. Palais and Father Guiguen began bringing the sacraments to the Catholic settlers of the Fox River Valley.
- St. Mary Parish became part of the diocese of Chicago with a vast territory that included Kane County, North of Batavia, all of Dekalb county and Northern DuPage.
- “The cornestone of the first Catholic Church in Elgin was laid” in 1851.
- There are approximately 1,700 families currently registered at St. Mary Church.